- Pellets refers to an agglomeration process that converts powders of bulk active substances and excipients into free-flowing, spherical or semi-spherical microgranules (from 0,5 to 2 mm).
- SMB’s pellets, manufactured by a granulation-extrusion-spheronisation process, are composed of a core containing the active ingredient and a porous membrane made of insoluble methacrylic polymers. This particular formulation explains the controlled-release properties of these pellets.
- The main advantages of pellets versus regular tablet are:
– Prolonged and smooth release during 24 hours allowing a once-daily administration.
– Therapeutic effect independent from the intake of food.
– Better compliance.
– Good tolerability, reducing side effects by maintaining plasma levels within the therapeutic zone.
– Stable therapeutic effect.
– Possibility of developing different dosage strengths.
– Pellet-released active ingredients may offer a higher bioavailability than usual drugs.